Sunday, June 8, 2014

Thoughts about the song Snugglefish


We'd just finished our weekend in Old Tucson at the Wild Wild West Convention in March of 2014. We had woken up too early after a night that went too late and we were punch drunk and would laugh at pretty much anything. When we were standing in line at the security checkpoint I decided that it would be a good idea to ask the internet for words that rhymed with "tentacles." No, i don't know why. I blame the coffee.

Anyway, the response was lightning fast and suddenly I had a thriving FB thread full of suggestions. By the time we'd sat down in our seats on the plane I knew that we needed to write a song with this. Kate, Tempest, and I passed my notebook back and forth and the rest of the song materialized in about 15 minutes. I'm sure the other passengers were plenty irritated by our silliness.

The third verse came a few days later, after I'd sent the song-in-progress to Alyssa. She totally nailed the idea. I loved the Frog & Toad reference!

I don't know what a Snugglefish looks like. I've seen a couple of artist renderings and each one is unique and awesome.


Lyrics:

Oh, those dreary days
In my world down below
The sea where I sit
To watch the world's show

The mortals, full of hubris
To their Gods' respect is lackin'
There's just nothing left to do
But shout, “Release the Kraken!”

But I know that deep inside
Your fleshy, squirmy, slimy hide
A heart of gold resides ...

CHORUS:
You're my fierce and fanged Snugglefish
My toothy, scaly Snugglefish
The mortals fear you, Snugglefish
As they're gobbled by you, Snugglefish

Lord Zeus says you're nonsensicle
Because of all your tentacles
Residing in my ventricles
Are nothing but respectacles

For you …

My little Snugglefish
My little Cuddlefish

For the Lord of the Sea
It's such a lonely lot
That sometimes I feel
Like you are all I've got

And it pains me ever so
When mortal respect is lackin'
And there's nothing left to say
But, “Release the Kraken!”

Because you've shown me, deep inside
Your fleshy, squirmy, slimy hide
A heart of gold resides …

CHORUS!

Instrumental Interlude - DUELING KAZOOS! How cool is that??

You're man’s most dreaded enemy
My best friend, not frenemy
Frog and toad will always be
Envious of you and me

So when you feel down and out
Like all the world’s attackin'
Never worry, I will shout
Hey “Release that Kraken”

Because you've shown me, deep inside
Your fleshy, squirmy, slimy hide
A heart of gold resides …

CHORUS!

4 comments:

  1. So will this be a thing?
    Will your next album's comedic song have a reference to the Snugglefish? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before.
    www.miraclepianist.com/feliz-navidad-song-and-lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this great post, i find it very interesting and very well thought out and put together. I look forward to reading your work in the future.
    miraclepianist

    ReplyDelete