Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Violin Fundraiser Completed!

Thank you everyone, the violin-repair fundraiser has achieved it's goal! The funds have been raised and the order for the repair has been finalized! You guys rule.

A few more thoughts about my violin:

I bought my violin at David T. Stone Violins in early 2007. David asked me some questions about my budget and what I was looking for in an instrument and then said something like this (very loosely paraphrased):

"I'm going to put 15 violins in front of you and I want you to play each one and pick out the ones that you -don't- like. We'll take those and put them away. Then I want you to go through the left overs and do the same thing. Keep doing that until you narrow it down to a couple. Then I'm going to send you home with them for a few days and I want you to play them until you know which one you want to keep.

I'm not going to tell you how much these cost because I want you to pick your violin only on the strength of how you like it. Don't worry, I won't sneak in any really expensive ones. They'll all be within your budget."

I narrowed is down to three instruments and I then took them home and spent the week playing and comparing them. I narrowed it down to the one I chose on the strength of it's unique low register. I love that throaty G tone that it has. It felt a little closed up in tone because it hadn't been played in years. I knew that it would open up with practice and was very happy with the purchase.

I can't wait to get it back and work with it again. As happens when an instrument is disassembled, it closes up a little as the new glue and structural work has yet to settle. I plan to play the hell out of it when I get it back. Alas, it'll probably be a few months before I take it back out to performances.

If all goes well I'll have it with me when I go to New Orleans over Halloween for the Anne Rice Ball for my show with The Ghosts Project.

Again, thank you everyone for your help with my violin repair. It means so much to me that I have friends out there that are willing to help me on my path towards making the music I love so much.

<3!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, YAY! Got paid today and just popped over to donate. While I'm sad I didn't get to help with anything more than word of mouth, I'm SO GLAD you got the means you needed to fix the violin. <3

    Well, with nothing left to do with this bit of violin repair budget, I think I'll get some music. I hear that Nathaniel Johnstone Band has some great stuff out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word of mouth is always helpful! I know that I got at least a few bumps in the fundraiser right after your posts.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete