Monday, July 21, 2014

Spotlight on Mr. Erik Brown, Bass Monster

So one of the really neat things about my band is that they are all incredibly talented, self-starting types who are already well-established in their own music trajectories. That makes it all the more awesome when see fit to set their own projects down every now and then so that they can support me in my composition and development as a composer and band leader. As I've been doing the occasional blog post about the songs from The Antikythera Mechanism I'm going to highlight some of the amazing musicians that I am lucky enough the jam with.

My current bass player, Mr. Erik Brown came to the ensemble originally as a percussionist. His percussion is all over the place on both Narratives and The Antikythera Mechanism. Any of the world-music type hand drums you hear are most likely his work. He's a straight-up virtuoso on the doumbek. It wasn't until I'd already been working with him that he let slip that he was a bass-player too.

 

Go listen to Stone Woman, Persephone Rises, and Dance With Me. That's all his work. No lies, there's no way I could have played that stuff myself.

He's got his own project that he manages here in Seattle: House of Tarab.

They've also got a Bandcamp Page.

They remain one of my very favorite bands to see play live. They are incredibly tight and are clearly having fun at their shows. I had the great joy of seeing my darling wife Tempest do a 30 minute set with them at one of their shows a while back. I so rarely get so see her from the audience seat. It was lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment